Airtran Airways Launches New International Service from San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood, Orange County, and Chicago Midway
AirTran Airways Begins Inaugural Service to Austin and Orange County While Launching New International DestinationsDownload .txt Add to Basket Remove From Basket
AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV), announced today that the carrier is officially kicking off brand new international service from several markets including San Antonio, Austin, Orange County, Calif., and Chicago Midway, as well as new service between Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood and San Juan, Puerto Rico. The new routes were announced last winter and service details are outlined below. Today's departure out of San Antonio International Airport marks AirTran's first international destination and flight from the airport. The international service also brings AirTran service to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and John Wayne Airport in Orange County for the first time. Customers can book travel on the new routes at: www.airtran.com.
San Antonio New Service:
- Beginning May 24, AirTran will operate four weekly nonstop flights between San Antonio (SAT) and Cancun (CUN) with service Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Beginning Sept. 1, 2012, through the end of the current schedule*, the carrier will operate three weekly nonstop flights on Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- Also beginning May 24, AirTran will operate one daily nonstop flight between San Antonio and Mexico City (MEX).
Ft. Lauderdale New Service:
- Beginning May 24, AirTran will launch service between Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood (FLL) and San Juan, Puerto Rico, (SJU) with two daily nonstop flights.
Austin New Service:
- Beginning May 25, AirTran will launch inaugural service to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) with four weekly nonstop flights between Austin and Cancun on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays through Aug. 31, 2012. Beginning Sept. 1, 2012, through the end of the schedule, the carrier will operate the service on Mondays, Fridays, and Sundays.
Orange County New Service:
- Beginning June 3, AirTran will operate one daily nonstop flight between John Wayne Airport in Orange County (SNA) and Mexico City and one daily nonstop flight between Orange County and Cabo San Lucas/San Jose del Cabo (SJD).
Midway New Service:
- Beginning June 3, AirTran will operate one daily nonstop flight between Chicago Midway (MDW) and Cancun.
*Current schedules are available for booking through Nov. 2, 2012.
"We've got exciting plans underway to celebrate our new international service with Customers, Employees, and the communities we serve," said Bob Jordan, Southwest Airlines Executive Vice President & Chief Commercial Officer and AirTran Airways President. "The new service is a great benefit to Customers across both the Southwest and AirTran networks as we are seeing the reward of our integration efforts—more flights to more destinations."
The airline plans to celebrate in each market with edible treats and giveaways for Customers on the first flights! In addition, Members of Rapid Rewards (Southwest Airlines) and A+ Rewards (AirTran Airways) frequent flyer programs are now able to transfer their loyalty rewards between the two programs to redeem for reward travel to 97 destinations, including Mexico and the Caribbean. To learn more about Rewards Conversion and view step-by-step instructions and videos, visit http://www.rewardsfarther.com.
AirTran Airways, a wholly owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines Co., has been ranked the top airline in the Airline Quality Rating study three times in the past five years. AirTran offers coast-to-coast service on North America's newest all-Boeing fleet. The airline's low-cost, high-quality product also includes assigned seating and Business Class. To book a flight, visit airtran.com.
Southwest Airlines continues to differentiate itself from other low-fare carriers — offering a reliable product with exemplary Customer Service. Southwest Airlines is the nation's largest carrier in terms of originating domestic passengers boarded and has acquired AirTran Airways, now a wholly owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines Co. Southwest serves 73 cities in 38 states and remains one of the most honored airlines in the world known for its commitment to the triple bottom line of Performance, People, and Planet. To read more about how Southwest is doing its part to be a good citizen, visit southwest.com/cares to read the Southwest Airlines One Report™. Based in Dallas, Southwest currently operates more than 3,300 flights a day and has nearly 39,000 Employees.