Southwest Corporate Fact Sheet
Gary Kelly, Chairman of the Board, President, & Chief Executive Officer
P.O. Box 36611
2702 Love Field Drive
Dallas, TX 75235
About the Company
In its 44th year of service, Dallas-based Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) continues to differentiate itself from other air carriers with exemplary Customer Service delivered by more than 47,000 Employees to more than 100 million Customers annually. Southwest operates more than 3,600 flights a day, serving 94 destinations across the United States and six additional countries. Southwest service to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, begins in June 2015; and subject to government approvals, service to Belize City, Belize, begins in October 2015.
Based on the U.S. Department of Transportation's most recent data, Southwest Airlines is the nation's largest carrier in terms of originating domestic passengers boarded. The Company operates the largest fleet of Boeing aircraft in the world, the majority of which are equipped with satellite-based WiFi providing gate-to-gate connectivity while over the United States. That connectivity enables Customers to use their personal devices to access streaming music provided by Beats Music or to view video on-demand movies and television shows, as well as nearly 20 channels of free, live TV compliments of our valued Partners. Southwest is the only major U.S. airline to offer bags fly free® (first and second checked pieces of luggage, size and weight limits apply) to everyone, and there are no change fees, though fare differences might apply. In 2014, the airline proudly unveiled a bold new look: Heart. The new aircraft livery, airport experience, and logo, showcase the dedication of Southwest Employees to connect Customers with what's important in their lives.
From its first flights on June 18, 1971, Southwest Airlines launched an era of unprecedented affordability in air travel described by the U.S. Department of Transportation as "The Southwest Effect," a lowering of fares and increase in passenger traffic whenever the carrier enters new markets. With 42 consecutive years of profitability, Southwest is one of the most honored airlines in the world, known for a triple bottom line approach that contributes to the carrier's performance and productivity, the importance of its People and the communities they serve, and an overall commitment to efficiency and the planet. The 2014 Southwest Airlines One Report™ can be found at Southwest.com/citizenship.
Book Southwest Airlines' low fares online at Southwest.com or by phone at 800-I-FLY-SWA.
Southwest Airlines was incorporated in Texas and commenced Customer Service on June 18, 1971, with three Boeing 737 aircraft serving three Texas cities—Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio—and grew to become a major airline in 1989 when it exceeded the billion-dollar revenue mark. In 1994, Southwest became the first major airline to offer ticketless travel. In 1996, Southwest became the first major airline to post a website with the launch of our "Home Gate" site. Southwest topped the monthly domestic originating passenger rankings for the first time in May 2003. In 2013, Southwest launched the first Southwest service to a destination outside the 48 contiguous states with service to San Juan, Puerto Rico. In July 2014, Southwest began its first international flights to Nassau, Bahamas; Montego Bay, Jamaica; and Aruba. Later in the year, Southwest continued its international launch with service to Mexico and the Dominican Republic. In 2015, Southwest's international service is expected to grow to seven countries with new service to San Jose, Costa Rica, in March; Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in June; and pending government approvals, Belize City, Belize, in October.
Read more about Southwest's Company History.
Southwest Airlines operates more than 3,600 flights a day.
More than 47,000 People work to deliver exemplary Customer Service throughout the Southwest system.
Common stock is traded under the symbol "LUV" on the NYSE. Southwest paid its first quarterly dividend in fourth quarter 1976. In January 2015, Southwest made its 154th consecutive quarterly dividend payment to Shareholders. In first quarter 2015, the Company returned $381 million to Shareholders through repurchases of $300 million of common stock and distribution of $81 million in dividends.
First Quarter 2015 Financial Statistics:
- First quarter record net income: $453 million
- First quarter record net income, excluding special items: $451 million
- First quarter record revenue passengers carried: 26.4 million
- First quarter record RPMs: 25.9 billion
- First quarter record load factor: 80.1 percent
- First quarter record total operating revenues: $4.4 billion
As of March 31, 2015, Southwest operated 679 Boeing 737 aircraft:
- On April 11, 2012, Southwest's first 737-800 began scheduled service.
- In April 2012, the AirTran 737-700 fleet began transitioning to Southwest. As of March 31, 2015, all 52 AirTran 737-700s have been converted to the Southwest livery with Evolve configuration.
- The Company's fleet has an average age of approximately 12 years.
- The Company's average aircraft trip length is 739 miles with an average duration of two hours.
- Southwest aircraft fly an average of nearly six flights or about 10 hours and 59 minutes per day.
- Southwest was the launch customer for the Boeing 737-700 in 1997. Southwest also was a launch customer for the Boeing 737-500 and 737-300 series aircraft. And, in December 2011, Southwest announced it would be the launch customer for the Boeing 737 MAX.
- Southwest's -800 aircraft also feature Boeing's Sky Interior. The Boeing Sky Interior offers a quieter, more comfortable environment for Customers, with taller ceilings and more overhead bin space, improved operational security features, and ambient LED reading and ceiling lighting, which is more effective as well as energy efficient and adaptable to the mood onboard the aircraft.
- All of Southwest's Boeing 737-700s, as well as a majority of its 737-300s, are equipped with Blended Winglets. Additionally, prior to April 2014, all of the carrier's Boeing 737-800s came equipped with Blended Winglets. In January 2014, Southwest announced the order of 85 Boeing Split Scimitar Winglets for its 737-800 fleet. This order allowed the retrofit of the -800s that were already in its fleet, in addition to all -800s delivered in 2014. The Split Scimitar Winglet adds new strengthened spars, aerodynamic scimitar tips, and a large ventral strake to the existing Blended Winglet while also providing additional incremental fuel savings beyond the approximate 3.5 percent per aircraft from Blended Winglets. In total, the Company's winglet program saved nearly 60 million gallons of fuel in 2014.
- In 2013, Southwest became the first and only carrier to offer gate-to-gate connectivity. Customers may use small portable electronic devices (PEDs) in "airplane mode" from gate to gate. This means Southwest Customers may use the airline's onboard WiFi, which is available on the majority of the airline's fleet, and can stay connected from the time they step onboard a Southwest plane to the time they exit.
- By the end of first quarter 2013, all Southwest 737-700 and 737-800 aircraft were equipped to provide satellite-based broadband internet from WiFi provider, Global Eagle Entertainment. Customers are able to enjoy free live and on-demand TV compliments of the Company's valued Partners as well as $5 movies throughout their flights, without interruption if on a mobile device or tablet due to our gate-to-gate connectivity. Customers do not need to purchase WiFi in order to access other entertainment selections within the Portal. Also, Customers can purchase Messaging service for $2 and have access to iMessage, WhatsApp, and Viber.
Southwest serves 94 destinations across the United States and six additional countries.
Southwest Top Ten Airports By Departures:
Reflects April 2015 Schedule
|Number of Gates||Nonstop Cities Served||Year
|Dallas (Love Field)||166||18||42||1971||-|
Customer Support & Services Centers
- Southwest currently operates seven Customer Support and Services Centers: Albuquerque, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Oklahoma City, Phoenix, and San Antonio.
- Southwest Airlines Customer Representatives book, on average, 57,160 reservations daily; 401,220 reservations weekly; and 1.7 million reservations monthly. Approximately 20.9 million reservations have been booked by Southwest Airlines Customer Representatives in the last 12 months.
- Served more than 1.5 billion Customers since our inception.
- Operated more than 22 million flights since our inception.
- Enplaned approximately 136 million Customers during 2014, which is an average of more than 10 million onboard Customers per month.
- Received 178,299 resumes and hired 4,136 new Employees in 2014.
- Served more than 100 million peanuts and more than 45 million pretzels in 2014.
- In 2014, moved 208 million pounds of cargo.
- The shortest daily Southwest flight is between Austin (AUS) and Houston Hobby (HOU) (148 miles). The longest daily Southwest flight is between Baltimore-Washington (BWI) and Oakland (OAK) (2,447 miles).
- During 2014, 80 percent of passenger revenues were booked via Southwest.com, Swabiz.com, and Airtran.com.
- More than 18 million people subscribe to Southwest's weekly Click ‘N Save emails.
- During 2014, 82 percent of Southwest Customers checked in online or at a kiosk.
- 61 percent of Fortune 1,000 Companies are enrolled in SWABIZ.
- According to Keynote, Southwest.com was named the top site for overall Customer Experience among airlines and online travel agencies.
- Southwest was the first airline to establish a home page on the Internet. Initially, five Employees comprised Southwest's web site development team, and the site took about nine months to create.
- The "Southwest Shortcut" feature on Southwest.com is the first online tool that helps Customers find the lowest fare based on availability across an entire month.
- DING!, a downloadable desktop application, available for both PC and MAC users, was introduced in February 2005 to notify Customers of exclusive hot offers. Southwest was the first airline to implement this type of tool.
- In addition to flights, Customers are able to make car, hotel, and complete vacation package reservations on Southwest.com.
- Southwest first launched an iPhone app in December 2009 and an Android app in 2011. New versions of both the mobile site and the apps were launched in 2013. In 2014, Southwest launched the capability for Customers to use a mobile boarding pass when traveling on Southwest flights.
- 42 consecutive years of annual profitability, a record unmatched in the U.S. airline industry.
- In 2014, average passenger airfare was $159.80 one way, and the average passenger trip length was approximately 978 miles.
- Filed fares in more than 4,300 city-pair markets and offered nonstop service in more than 670 roundtrip markets in 2014.
- Flight completion record was 98.8 percent in 2014.
- Consistently received the lowest ratio of complaints per passengers boarded of all Major U.S. carriers that have been reporting statistics to the Department of Transportation (DOT) since September 1987, which is when the DOT began tracking Customer Satisfaction statistics and publishing its Air Travel Consumer Report.
- Adopted the first profit sharing plan in the U.S. airline industry in 1973.
- Approximately 83 percent of the Company's Employees were represented for collective bargaining purposes by labor unions in 2014.
- Member of the FORTUNE 500.
- In 2014, Southwest Employees volunteered more than 144,000 hours to national and local nonprofit organizations.
- In 2014, announced a multi-year commitment to Placemaking, a process that puts people first in the process of designing and improving public spaces. Through the Southwest Airlines Heart of the Community program, Southwest will work with pioneering non profit Project for Public Spaces and collaborate with local community partners in cities across the country to revitalize and bring new life to public spaces.
- In 2014, launched LUV Seat: Repurpose with Purpose, the Company's newest global sustainability initiative that upcycles the used leather seat coverings from the Evolve cabin retrofit into brand new products that support local communities. Through the initiative's pilot program, the products benefit communities in Kenya, Malawi, and the United States by providing access to employment, skills training, and livelihoods. To learn more about LUV Seat, visit www.swamedia.com/luvseat.
- Named to FORTUNE Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies list for 21 consecutive years. Southwest was ranked as the No. 7 Most Admired Company, and is the only commercial airline to make the Top Ten.
- Southwest named one of the Top 20 America's Best Employers of 2015 by Forbes.
- Named 2015 Airline of the Year by Air Transport World.
- Recognized as the top travel brand and fifth overall brand by The Business Journals in the American Brand Excellence Awards.
- Named as one of the Top Domestic Airlines by Travel + Leisure.
- Listed #2 on Consumer Reports' Airline Customer Satisfaction Survey.
- Received Freddie Awards for Best Redemption Ability, Best Airline Customer Service, and Best Loyalty Credit Card by InsideFlyer.
- Named one of the FORTUNE 500 Green Power Partners by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Recognized as one of the Top 100 Military- Friendly Employers by Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs and Military Spouse.
- Named one of the 100 Best Corporate Citizens by Corporate Responsibility magazine.
- Recognized as one of the Best Places to Work in 2014, a Glassdoor Employees' Choice Award.
- Named one of the National Conference on Citizenship's The Civic 50.
- Named #2 in J.D. Power Airline Ratings in low cost.
- Among the top airline scores for overall customer satisfaction in the airline industry in the J.D. power 2014 North America Airline Satisfaction Study.
- Recognized by Chief Executive Group as one of the 2014 Best Companies for Leaders.
- Named Domestic Airline of the Year by Express Delivery and Logistics Association for the 15th year in a row.
- Named Domestic Carrier of the year for Cargo by the Airforwarders Association.
- Received the Quest for Quality excellence in Air Cargo Award by Logistics Management magazine.
- Recognized by Newsweek as one of America's Greenest Companies.
- Selected as the Travelers' Choice "Favorite Airline" by TripAdvisor.
- Best Low Cost Carrier in North America award from Premier Traveler – Best of 2014.
- Recommended Readers' Choice Award for Best Airline – Domestic.
- Air Cargo Excellence "ACE" Diamond Award winner in the "up to 399,999 tonnes" category by Air Cargo World magazine
|(in millions)||Three Months Ended
March 31, 2015
|Net income, as reported||$ 453|
|Add (Deduct): Net impact from fuel contracts||10|
|Add (Deduct): Income tax impact of fuel contracts||(3)|
|Add: Acquistion and integration costs (1)||14|
|Deduct: Litigation settlement (1)||(23)|
|Net income, non-GAAP||$ 451|
|(1) Amounts net of tax.|